These resources are available to GPs, practice staff and CCG staff in north West Sussex and east Surrey. Please register for an OpenAthens account to make the most of the healthcare resources.
Look under Evidence for research reviews, evidence-based guidelines, validated research articles and research-based clinical options.
Search Literature resources for indexes of published information from journals, conference abstracts, reports and academic theses. Critically appraise results to exclude poorly conducted clinical trials, reports and articles and to locate relevant, valid information.
For details of one-to-one and group training in the workplace, expert literature searching and critical appraisal, please contact Karen Skinner the Outreach Librarian.
Anatomy TV: Interactive 3D resource bank of images, video clips and slides OpenAthens
ClinicalKey: OpenAthens Provides access to a large collection of reference material, books, journals, images and videos including:
- Gottschalk A & Ochroch EA. Thoracic pain. In McMahon S et al… Wall & Melzack’s Textbook of Pain. 6th ed. 2013
- Knopman DS. Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias. In Goldman L & Schafer AI. Goldman’s Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. 2012
- Davenport R & Manji H. The nervous system. In Douglas G et al… Macleod’s Clinical Examination. 13th ed. 2013
Clinical Knowledge Summaries: summaries of the current evidence base and practical guidance on best evidence
Cochrane Library: Reliable evidence on the effectiveness of healthcare interventions and treatments
DynaMed: Clinical “point of care” reference tool. Containing clinically-organised summaries for more than 3,200 topics, DynaMed monitors over 500 journals daily, evaluating the evidence for clinical relevance and scientific validity, integrating as appropriate with existing content and representing a synthesis of the best available evidence OpenAthens
NICE Evidence: Free, open access to a range of selected and authoritative health and social care evidence-based information
NICE Pathways: Free interactive tool giving quick and easy access to NICE guidance
Trip: A clinical search engine providing quick and easy access to high quality research evidence. Filter by evidence type, images, date
HDAS Healthcare resources with links to journal citations, abstracts and some full-text articles. These require OpenAthens
- BNI: The British Nursing Index contains comprehensive coverage of all nursing and midwifery titles in the UK in addition to a number of International titles
- CINAHL: Nursing and allied health care literature from Europe and North America
- EMBASE: European database of biomedical and pharmacological literature
- Health Business Elite: Healthcare administration and non-clinical aspects of health care institution management
- HMIC: UK focused data and records from the Department of Health and the King’s Fund on health service policy, the quality of health services, management and administration
- Medline: Clinical, medical and nursing literature
- PsychINFO: Psychology, psychiatry and related disciplines
PubMed: Extensive index of medical, biomedical and nursing resources. Some full-text articles are free access
onExamination: an online revision resource to assist doctors in preparation for membership exams. Questions and explanatory answers on current and typical themes. These are available to GP trainees who are members of Surrey and Sussex Library & Knowledge Services. Please contact the Library for access details
Behind the Headlines: Find the facts behind the newspaper headlines concerning health news
BNF Publications: The BNF APP is available to download
GP Notebook: An online medical reference encyclopaedia for UK clinicians. Browse by subject or search for specifics.
NHS choices: Information from the National Health Service on conditions, treatments, local services and healthy living.
Patient: The same information as provided by GPs to patients during consultations, health/disease leaflets,patient support organisations, all about medicines